Bromfield a special talent

first_imgJunelle Bromfield of St Elizabeth Technical High is a very special talent.     Yesterday the middle distance star completed one of the most difficult feats at the ISSA-GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Championships with gold medals in the 400m, 800m and 1500m events.    After taking the 1500 metres in 4:40.77 on Friday, the St Elizabeth star returned to take the 400m in early afternoon yesterday in 51.74. Two hours later she dismantled the 800 metres field clocking 2.09.70 to bring the National Stadium crowd to its feet. A modest Bromfield said her accomplishment was not as difficult as it appeared.    “It wasn’t that difficult because I paced myself throughout the rounds and I kept my composure in all my races and that is how I was able was deliver in all of them,” she said. “I feel very proud, because I am being strongly motivated by my mother and father and my coach is always there pushing me and that is how I was able to accomplish what I did,” she added. The middle distant sensation was also touched by the reception the stadium crowd gave her in the final 100 metres of the 800m. “It was heart warming because I know that STETHS do not have many supporters, it’s mainly KC and Calabar and all those schools, so for all of them (spectators) to be supporting me I really appreciate it,” she said.last_img read more

International Hockey Federation moves Champions Trophy out of India

first_imgThe perennial crisis in the national game took another turn for the worse on Tuesday as the International Hockey Federation (FIH) withdrew the hosting rights for the 2011 men’s Champions Trophy from India.The informal agreement between Hockey India and Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) seems to be the reason for this decision which has also cost India an automatic berth in the elite eight-team event, which was to be held in Delhi from December 3-11.”India will no longer host the 2011 men’s Champions Trophy due to ongoing problems with the governance of hockey in the country. A replacement host for the event is expected to be named within a week,” an FIH statement said.FIH president Leandro Negre said: “We regret that we have to move the Champions Trophy from India. It is difficult for the teams, organisers and the fans. But we feel that this is the only way to maintain the integrity of the sport.”The world body had hinted its displeasure at the informal agreement between Hockey India and IHF to form a joint executive committee to run the sport in the country. FIH maintained that this accord, brokered by the union sports ministry, goes against its constitution.FIH recognises Hockey India as the sole governing body for the game in the country. The agreement was necessitated after Delhi High Court ruled that the IHF was wrongfully disbanded and remained the legitimate governing body. It asked the government to broker a settlement between the rival bodies, which seems to have rubbed FIH the wrong way.advertisementHowever, sports ministry sources feel there is more to it than meets the eye. The FIH believes it is owed $500,000 from last year’s men’s World Cup. It is part of the sponsorship amount of `27 crore and is said to be held up by the Reserve Bank of India.The FIH wants a written explanation as to the reasons for the delay and what needs to be done for the release of the money. The latest decision may also be seen as a pressure tactic.Having missed out on an automatic spot, India has now been invited to the Champions Challenge to be held in South Africa in November. Only the winners will seal a berth in the Champions Trophy.The world body is yet to decide on an alternate venue but the tournament will be staged during the same period.The FIH decision also casts a shadow on India’s Olympic hopes. Both the men’s and women’s qualifiers are scheduled to be held in India in February and playing away from home will make it difficult to seal a spot for the London Games.”The FIH will continue to monitor the governance structure in India and hopes that a resolution can be found before it begins to affect future events set to be held in India,” the statement added.When contacted, Negre indicated that all was not lost. “I am coming to India to meet the sports minister. We will give them (ministry and Hockey India) an opportunity to put forth their case and will then see what can be done regarding the other two tournaments that were awarded to India,” Negre told MAIL TODAY.However, he said the government could have handled things differently. “Over the last one month, we have been sending letters to the ministry but we received nothing fruitful from them so the FIH went ahead with its decision which has been communicated to Hockey India, the Indian sports ministry and the International Olympic Committee,” said Negre.”We were always concerned about the problems in Indian hockey but what the FIH decided was that the developments that took place in the last couple of months were against the FIH’s policies. As of now, the FIH has taken a decision and we will stick to it but yes, we are open to any constructive discussion.”Sports minister Ajay Maken admitted that the FIH decision was a big setback.”I have asked my officials to meet Hockey India, Indian Olympic Association and IHF on Monday and try to resolve the issue. I would like them to say the same things in front of Negre when I meet him the next day and present a better and stronger picture of hockey in the country,” Maken said, terming their rigid stands as “inflated egos”.”I will try to ensure that the Olympic qualifiers take place in Delhi. I will also talk to Negre about reinstating the Champions Trophy.””The problem is twofold: get more tournaments and that the major tournaments allotted to India remain with us; second, unite the warring factions in the larger interest of the game and the country.”advertisementHockey India secretary general Narinder Batra said it was not kept in the loop by FIH and the move came as a surprise. “It’s very shocking and disappointing for us,” Batra told MAIL TODAY.”The FIH must be having apprehensions against whatever happened in Indian hockey but we also have legal obligations to fulfil because we have to respect court orders.”last_img

Real vs Atletico: 5 players to watch in Champions League final

first_imgReal will take on Atletico for the coveted Champions League title on SundayReal Madrid and Atletico Madrid meet in the first Champions League final that is also a city derby – and only the fifth featuring two teams from the same country.Both are looking to close their seasons with a double as Madrid vies to follow up its Copa del Rey victory with a record 10th European Cup and Atletico can secure its maiden title in Europe’s top competition just a week after winning its first Spanish league trophy in 18 years.Here are five players who can make the difference on Saturday at the Stadium of Light:IKER CASILLASThe Real Madrid goalkeeper has overcome being dropped as the first-team goalkeeper in the Spanish league to make the most of his limited playing time. And the 33-year-old Casillas has exceeded expectations in a part-time role, leading Madrid not only into Saturday’s final but to victory in the Copa del Rey, where he did not allow a goal until the 2-1 final win over Barcelona. Casillas’ play in Europe and the domestic cup has cemented his starting place for Spain at the World Cup, and a third European Cup on his resume would certainly add to his stature as Spain’s greatest keeper. Casillas has never lost against Atletico.THIBAUT COURTOISAtletico Madrid’s goalkeeper won his second straight Zamora trophy after conceding the fewest league goals in helping his team to the Spanish league title. The Belgium goalie has flourished in the three seasons he has spent on loan from Chelsea at Atletico, helping the club win five trophies with cat-like reflexes and a penchant for key saves. Saturday’s final could be Courtois’ last game for Atletico with Chelsea looking increasingly likely to call their keeper of the future back to Stamford Bridge to compete with Petr Cech for the starting job. “Courtois and (Manchester United’s) David De Gea are the best and most promising young goalkeepers in the game,” Casillas said of his counterpart.advertisementCRISTIANO RONALDONo player will be as motivated as Cristiano Ronaldo, who has finally guided Real Madrid back to the Champions League final for the first time in 12 years – and in his native Portugal to boot. Ronaldo joined Manchester United from Sporting Lisbon, and guided the English club to a European Cup win in 2008 before losing to Barcelona a year later in Rome. Despite some recent injury setbacks, Ronaldo can cap perhaps his most complete season, which has already seen him win the Ballon d’Or. The 29-year-old Ronaldo has scored 50 goals this season, and will be looking to add to his record 16 scored in the Champions League this campaign.KOKEBarcelona playmaker Xavi Hernandez labeled Jorge “Koke” Resurreccion his heir apparent on the Spain national team, and the Atletico midfielder is proving him right after helping his boyhood club to its first Spanish league title in since 1996, when he was four. Striker Diego Costa has garnered much of the headlines about Atletico’s success but none of it would have been possible without the aid of Koke, who seems to be involved in nearly every one of Atletico’s goals from open play or set pieces. Koke can also score himself, and netted the deciding goal in the quarterfinal win over Barcelona.GARETH BALEThe world’s most expensive player has certainly delivered in his first season at Madrid despite a season marred by occasional injury worries and the lofty expectations that came with a 100-million-euro ($137 million) transfer. The addition of Bale has turned Madrid’s attack into Europe’s most explosive, as Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Bale combined for 95 goals this season. Bale’s memorable winner in the 2-1 Copa del Rey final against Barcelona will certainly be among the season’s best, and has enamored him with the club’s fans. His size, speed, and dribbling ability will test Atletico’s defense, which was the best in Spain this season.last_img read more