Share Share Share 46 Views no discussions Tweet Sharing is caring! EducationLocalNewsTertiary Dominica State College assisting students in making appropriate career choices by: – September 2, 2011 Director of Student Services Department of the Dominica State College, Mr Edgar Hunter We have all heard of students being at secondary school and not knowing what career choice they may want to pursue.But what do you tell a college freshman who has no idea as to what career path they wish to take?The Dominica State College is now placing more emphasis on their ‘advising programme’ to better assist college students in making the right subject choices to fall in line with their preferred career choice.Director of the Student Services Department of the Dominica State College, Mr Edgar Hunter says the programme is now mandatory before admissions at the learning institution.According to him, this programme will ensure that students do not waste time and money pursuing subjects that they are not going to utilize in their future careers.He noted however, that some odd cases students still take decisions to change their major from one field to another, which the institution has absolutely no control over.“We are doing advising. The students will meet the advisor and tell the advisor what their interests are and they will guide them as to which courses they should choose in order to meet these career goals. The thing is some of the students are not really sure what they want to do so we also guide them in that.” Mr Hunter believes that students should also have an open mind when choosing their careers. According to him, in deciding their future careers they need to think ‘outside the box’ and dream big.“The other thing is that we also want them to think bigger than just being a doctor, lawyer and the normal business-man career. For example, in Dominica we have a serious problem with allied health professionals, so we want our science students to think of not just being doctors and nurses but getting involved in the allied fields; we want them to do whatever they want to be. If they want to be in sports, we want to provide that avenue and environment for them to do sports because sports also have a lot of opportunities. Whatever their dream is, we want to guide them and help them to reach those goals,” said HunterWhile the registration process is still ongoing at the Dominica State College, the institution has already confirmed the attendance of over seven hundred students.Admissions and advising will be concluding this week in preparation for the 2011-2012 academic term; scheduled for next week.Dominica Vibes News
ILOILO City – City Civil RegistrarRomeo Cesar “Juncae” Manikan has been issued a show cause order over allegedirregularities in the registration of marriages. Mayor Jerry Treñas gave him three daysfrom Sept. 19 to answer. As to the solemnization of marriage, Manikan said such is already beyond his office’s mandate./PN “Basta ang place of marriage is within Iloilo City kag complete ang (marriage) certificate, register gid ina,” he told Panay News. According to the complainant, therewas connivance between certain city hall employees and Hall of Justice employeesto make money from fake marriages (unauthorized solemnizing officer). “Failure to answer in writing thisShow Cause Order shall be considered as waiver on your part to be heard andthis case shall be decided on the basis of the documents on record,” read partof Treñas’ order. The complainant further claimed:“These marriages have not registered through the marriage bureau of the Hall ofJustice, and has not paid the solemnization fee required.” Reached for his comment on Friday last week, Manikan said he would submit his reply on Monday (today, Sept. 23). “The role of the civil registry office is purely ministerial when marriage certificates are presented for registration,” he said. He already denied the alleged irregularities in recent interviews. Attached to the mayor’s order was aletter complaint dated July 1 from a certain “Juan Dela Cruz” asking themayor’s office to investigate the Local Civil Registrar.
By Jerry MackeyDUBUQUE, Iowa (Aug. 21) – Ninety-eight cars packed Dubuque Speedway Sunday for an action-packed night of IMCA racing.A solid field of 19 drivers took the green flag in the IMCA Late Model 25-lapper, which saw Tyler Bruening shoot ahead from his front row start. Bruening was pressured by Luke Goedert before being able to pull out to a comfortable lead late in the main event.Bruening ran the momentum line at the top of the smooth track in scoring the win, which carried a $200 bonus courtesy of Cal Co Spray Coatings and Cedar Cross Service of Dubuque. Goedert finished second ahead of Jeremiah Hurst.The Merfeld Brothers IMCA Modified feature was an outstanding race with several lead changes throughout the 20-lap event. First-time visitor to Dubuque Speedway Troy Jerovetz from Green Bay, Wis., advanced from a sixth row start to take the lead following a lap 15 restart.Jerovetz went on to record the win over Ken Kostenbader and Mark Schulte.The GSI Collision Specialists IMCA Northern SportMod main event was another outstanding race with Tyler Soppe pressuring race leader Tim Current to the finish line. Current held his line in scoring the hard-fought win over Soppe and Troy Bauer.
A judge has declared the Delray Beach mother who went missing on a honeymoon boating trip with her new husband officially dead.The ruling came down Tuesday allowing the couple’s young daughter Emelia, to inherit her mother’s estate of more than $20,000 in various bank accounts and a Mercedes Benz. The judge held off on declaring Isabella Hellmann officially deceased until Hellmann’s husband, Lewis Bennett could sale her condo to ensure that all of the money would be put into a trust for the child.Hellmann went missing in 2017 while sailing between Cuba and the Bahamas with Bennett.Bennett told authorities that he woke up on May 15th after his catamaran struck something west of Cay Sal in the Bahamas. He then said he went top side and noticed that the catamaran was taking on water and he could not locate Hellmann anywhere but remembered last seeing her on the bow of the boat wearing a life vest around 1:00 AM. Bennett then said because the boat was taking on water he jumped into a raft with a satellite phone, an emergency locator beacon, and his bookbag and waited for the coast guard.He was eventually rescued a day later and dropped off in Marathon.After an investigation into Hellmann’s disappearance, the FBI claimed that Bennett intentionally sank the boat while off of the coast of the Bahamas by punching holes in each hull and by opening the emergency escape hatches so they would fill with water. He then scuttled the boat to make it look like they hit something.Their verdict, however, did not hold because the boat, and therefore their evidence, was lost when it sank after the coast guard placed a beacon on it and the beacon died.Bennett was initially charged with second-degree murder, however, he was offered a plea bargain due to the lack of evidence against him and pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter.Relatives of Hellmann reported that they believe Bennett intentionally killed Hellmann because they argued about where they should raise their child. It was said that Hellmann wanted to raise her in the states while Bennett who is a dual British-Australian citizen, wanted to raise their daughter in Australia.The family also attempted to get custody of the child who they say has been kept from them after Hellmann’s disappearance.The judge, however, granted custody of Emilia to Bennett’s family who currently lives in England.Bennett is due to be sentenced later this month. If convicted he faces up to eight years in prison and possible deportation.
Police in Philadelphia have arrested the father of a deceased 4-year-old boy after they found out that the boy’s father lied about the way the child died.According to the report, 28-year-old Edward Williams called authorities around 1:00 am to report that his 4-year-old son had been shot during an attempted robbery.When authorities arrived at the scene, they found Williams on the ground outside his home, holding his 3-year-old son and the body of the 4-year-old inside the home.The injured child was brought to an area hospital where he was later pronounced dead.During the investigation into the child’s death, authorities realized that Williams story did not add up. That’s when Williams confessed that he had been sleeping inside the home when the 4-year-old somehow found the weapon in a bedroom closet and accidentally shot himself with it.Williams then went on to say that he made up the story because he should not have been in possession of a weapon due to his criminal history and feared that he would get into more trouble.The father has since been charged with child endangerment, filing a false report, and involuntary manslaughter.His bail has been set at $2 million. It is unclear if he has legal representation.
Enugu Rangers began their quest for success on the continental scene on a good note after a 2-0 win over visiting Defence Forces of Ethiopia in the first leg of their CAF Confederation Cup Qualifiers game played in Enugu.While the Nigerian other representative in the elite club competition, Lobi Stars lost by a lone goal away to USM de Loum of Cameroon.The Nigerian Cup champions relied on two penalties to dispatch the visiting Ethiopians who were very resolute in defence although they didn’t pose any serious threat in attack. Godwin Aguda converted both penalties awarded to the Nigerian side who were crowned Champions of the Aiteo Cup in Nigeria after coming from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 before finally winning on penalties 4-2.The result means the Nigerians will head into next week second leg clash in prime position to progress to the next round of the CAF Confederation Cup, which Nigeria’s representative Enyimba FC of Aba played all the way to the semi-finals in the last edition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
UKGC hails ‘delivered efficiencies’ of its revamped licence maintenance service August 20, 2020 Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Submit Share StumbleUpon Share Related Articles UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 David CliftonIn his January 3rd posting “Gambling Commission justifies remote licence fee increases” Andy McCarron MD of SBC referred to the changes to the Commission’s annual fee structure that will come into effect from April this year.Those changes were announced in the DCMS “Proposals for Gambling Commission fees from April 2017 – consultation response” document that was published just prior to Christmas.In addition to the forthcoming fee changes mentioned by Andy, the following are also worthy of note:the fee for applying to vary an operating licence condition to increase or decrease fee category (that is presently charged at 20% of the standard licence fee) is to reduce to a fixed fee of £25,the existing 5% first annual fee discount when two licences are held will be removed, to be replaced by a 25% first annual fee discount for new remote operating licences, that will apply whether or not a business already holds a non-remote licence,where an operator holds both a non-remote and a remote operating licence, the Commission presently provides small discounts on their annual fees every year to reflect the reduced fixed costs of regulating a single operating entity as opposed to two; those annual discount arrangements are intended to become more “simplified” with a 5% annual fee discount being applied to every licence activity on both non-remote and remote operating licences (for operators who hold both),the fee for a change of corporate control application, where the applicant is a small family-owned limited company and the shares have been transferred to an immediate family, is to be reduced to £100, andapplications to vary a personal licence to reflect a change in name of the licence holder, and applications to amend the name of an individual on an operating licence, will no longer incur any fee.However, fees are not the only area of change that was announced in the DCMS document. In addition, the following new types of remote betting operating licence are to be introduced:betting host (general betting (standard) real events) andbetting host (general betting (standard) virtual events).In addition, game host (casino) and game host (bingo) licences will be introduced, although the suggestion of a lottery host licence was discounted.This will represent a material departure from the Commission’s position as presently set out at paragraph 5.1 of its “What is gambling Software?” Advice Note published in June 2014, in which it said that “a gambling software licence only authorises the manufacture, supply, installation and adaptation of gambling software. It does not permit the provision of facilities for gambling and therefore any business that provides facilities for gambling (even if they hold a gambling software licence) will need a relevant remote operating licence: a casino, bingo, general betting, pool betting, betting intermediary or lottery licence. For example a business that holds a gambling software licence but also hosts a poker network or a games platform will also require a remote casino operating licence as it is responsible for the fairness of the gambling”. This new “host” licence will remove the need for gambling software licensees that also provide facilities for gambling to obtain a “full” such remote operating licence.Specific conditions that will be imposed on the new host licences are that they:can only be held by the holder of a gambling software operating licence,only permit the licensee to provide facilities for gambling in circumstances in which it does not contract directly with any of the participants using those facilities, anddo not authorise the licensee to provide facilities for peer-to-peer gambling networks. A summary of all LCCP that will apply to game host and betting host licences is provided at Appendix G to the full DCMS responses document, the link to which can be accessed via our website.These will include a new general condition 3.1.3 that will require hosts to make arrangements to share information with the B2C operator whose customers use the host’s products, so that both the B2C and the host can discharge their obligations in respect of the prevention of money laundering and problem gambling.The Gambling Commission’s Remote Technical Standards, Testing Strategy and security audit requirements will apply to all host licences.The Commission’s fees for host licences will be calculated by reference to nine different scales of Gross Gambling Yield (“GGY”) ranging from:in the case of casino, bingo and betting on virtual events hosts, a £1,980 application fee (and £2,027 annual fee) where GGY is less than £550,000 to a £42,978 application fee where GGY is above £1billion (and annual fee of £289,652 plus £100,000 for every £500million of GGY above £1billion GGY)in the case of betting on real events only hosts, a £2,200 application fee (and £2,556 annual fee) where GGY is less than £550,000 to a £19,333 application fee where GGY is above £1billion (and annual fee of £371,142 plus £100,000 for every £500million of GGY above £1billion GGY).In terms of calculating the GGY for fees purposes, where a host receives a fixed payment from the B2C, that payment would be reflected as GGY. Where revenue share arrangements apply, B2Cs will be required to record the revenue of all products subject to such arrangements and, to prevent double-counting, each party (B2C and host) will have to record the amount that it actually receives from the transactions permitted by the licence.The Commission will be keeping under review the business models that are able to hold one of the host operating licences, to ensure that these licensees are genuinely providing facilities for gambling without contracting directly with any customer. It will also keep under review the LCCP that will apply to the host licences to ensure they remain appropriate for the gambling facilities being provided._________________David Clifton – Director – Clifton Davies Consultancy Limited
Mason City’s mayor Bill Schickel was our guest on “Ask the Mayor” on KGLO today. Listen back to the program below
Authorities in Fort Lauderdale have arrested a 37-year-old man who reportedly left an elderly disabled woman in a hot transport van for over 4 hours.According to the report, the woman, Carolyn Roberson, was supposed to be transported from her dialysis center to her nursing home in Deerfield Beach, however, that did not happen.Her driver Oscar Dorador, reportedly took a detour to his apartment where he reportedly disappeared and left Roberson in the transport van without a/c.Dorador was arrested Wednesday were he told investigators that he forgot Roberson was in the vehicle.He has since been charged with neglect of an elderly or disabled adult was released on $15,000 bond.
She continued, “It is deeply disturbing that while coronavirus cases in Florida surge, Disney is refusing to provide regular testing to one of the few groups of workers in the park who by the very nature of their jobs, cannot use personal protective equipment. Now is the time for Disney to pause, focus on the science and put the safety of their actors and stage managers first by making regular testing available.”Florida reported more than 114,000 cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, an increase of 5,004 over Wednesday.The union represents about 600 actors at Disney World, out of a total workforce of 77,000 employees at the resort.It also is concerned that not enough testing was planned for the actors, who are unable to use face masks on the job. The union that represents actors at Walt Disney World says the company should its the scheduled July reopening of its Florida parks.Disney’s Orlando parks are scheduled to reopen July 11, after being closed since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic.The Actors’ Equity Association said Thursday that it remains unclear how Disney World could “responsibly” reopen, as cases of the virus continue to increase throughout the state.The news comes a day after Disney announced it is delaying the reopening of its California themes parks from the original July 17 date there.“For weeks, we have made it clear to Disney that testing is a fundamental part of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for everyone, from the guests to the cast,” said Mary McColl, executive director of the Actors’ Equity Association.