To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Read also: BI continues to intervene in markets as foreigners sell Indonesian securities As of Friday, the rupiah traded at Rp 14,300 against the greenback in the spot market, weakening by 1.92 percent compared with Thursday’s close, the weakest since August last year.According to the World Health Organization, there were 459 new cases and 44 deaths in 37 countries as of Wednesday. China reported 412 new confirmed cases.As of Thursday, more than 80,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases had been reported in at least 40 countries, including neighboring countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines and Australia. There have been no confirmed COVID-19 cases in Indonesia to date.The rupiah has faced sell-offs in recent weeks as concerns mounted that the coronavirus that originated in China could turn into a global epidemic along with other Asian currencies, Fitch noted. Fitch Solutions has revised the rupiah’s outlook for 2020 to 14,207 per US dollar from its initial projection of Rp 13,650, given the higher risks of a local coronavirus outbreak.The revision comes on the back of rising headwinds faced by the Indonesian economy from the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that started in China, according to research from Fitch Solutions country risk and industry research.”The short-term drivers have turned negative due to the elevated global COVID-19 pandemic and likely local outbreak risk,” it stated. “We believe that risks of local outbreaks are high, which, once reported, will exert significant downside pressure.” Fitch stated that risks to the outlook were on the downside, stating: “It is still unclear as to when the coronavirus epidemic will be contained […] a case of the coronavirus is yet to be reported in Indonesia, but this could be down to poor monitoring or a clampdown on the media to avoid causing panic.””As concerns around the lack of cases have already been raised, it is likely that if a case is reported in Indonesia, investor sentiment could sour rapidly.”Separately, Bank Indonesia (BI) Governor Perry Warjiyo said that the weakening of the rupiah was relatively low compared to the weakening of several other countries, including South Korea and Thailand.”The coronavirus has affected investors’ behavior as they tend to sell off. But once the situation gets better, they will start coming in,” Perry said on Friday.Perry said that the central bank would continue to intervene in the spot market, domestic non-deliverable forwards (NDFs) and by buying government bonds (SBNs) to help stabilize the currency as well as the market.BI has pumped Rp 100 trillion (US$7.2 billion) into the domestic bond market since the start of the year as foreign investors posted big selloffs around the world over fears of fresh coronavirus cases emerging outside China.Topics :
October 10, 2018 Economy, Press Release, PSA, Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) approved his request to declare a disaster in Westmoreland County after significant flood damage to homes and businesses from a severe storm on Sept. 9, 2018.“Historic storms have damaged property and disrupted lives across the commonwealth,” said Governor Wolf. “Low-interest loans are an important first step toward helping those affected by the storms to move on.”Homeowners, renters and businesses impacted by the storm in Westmoreland County, as well as neighboring counties Allegheny, Armstrong, Cambria, Fayette, Indiana, Somerset and Washington may be eligible for low-interest disaster loans through the SBA Disaster Loan Programs.Low-interest loans of up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. SBA regulations permit loans up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property. Businesses and nonprofits can borrow up to $2 million to restore damaged or destroyed buildings, inventory, equipment and assets. Loan amounts and terms are set by the SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial qualifications.The SBA will establish a Disaster Loan Outreach Center (DLOC) to assist anyone who wishes to apply for a loan. The DLOC will be open at the following location and times:West Newton Public Library124 North Water StreetWest Newton, PA 15089Opening: Friday, October 12: 11 a.m.Days:– Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.– Saturday, October 13: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.Closed: Sunday, October 14Closing: Friday, October 19: 4 p.m.SBA customer service representatives will be on hand at the disaster loan outreach center to issue loan applications, answer questions about the disaster loan program, explain the application process and help individuals to complete their applications.Individuals and businesses unable to visit the center in person may obtain information and loan applications by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (1-800-877-8339 for the hearing impaired), or by e-mailing email@example.com.Loan applications can also be downloaded at www.sba.gov/disaster. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via the SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Completed applications should be returned to the DLOC or mailed to: U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is Dec. 10, 2018. The deadline to return economic injury disaster loan applications is July 9, 2019. SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Governor Wolf Announces Aid to Support Recovery Efforts from Severe Storms in Southwestern Pennsylvania
Industriens Pension, the Danish labour-market fund for the industrial sector, plans to treble direct investment in property and infrastructure over the next 2-3 years, pumping an extra DKK7bn (€938m) into these asset classes.The pension fund, which has DKK134bn in investment assets overall and around 400,000 members, said it now had almost DKK29bn, or 21% of assets, in alternatives.Jan Østergaard, investment director at Industriens, said: “We expect to treble direct investments in property and infrastructure in the next few years.”He said the time frame for this increase was 2-3 years. At the moment, direct investments in property total around DKK2bn, and direct infrastructure investments come to about DKK1.5bn.“At a time when interest rates are on the floor, and there is uncertainty on the financial markets, these types of investments provide stability, which is absolutely critical when you are dealing with pension savings,” Østergaard said.“In the course of the next few years, we expect to increase Danish property investment to around DKK5bn.”Industriens said its alternative investments included real estate, private equity, infrastructure funds, wind turbines and investments via public/private partnerships (PPPs), along with other assets.Østergaard said there were some attractive investment opportunities within alternatives, and that, because of this, the pension fund had been building up its skills within the investment department in this sector.“It has become an important supplement to traditional equities and bonds and is key to our ability to generate some solid returns for our members,” he said.The current record-low level of interest rates has been a major factor in putting alternatives firmly on the agenda for pension funds, Industriens said.Because interest rates have been low for so long, it added, it has become necessary to invest in other assets that have some of the same characteristics bonds traditionally had – low levels of risk and a stable return.Østergaard said the pension fund saw investment in projects that benefit Danes directly positively, such as PPP projects to build hospitals.The fund cited its investment alongside other institutional investors in hospitals in Næstved and Slagelse.At the end of August, four Danish pension funds invested DKK520m in a hospital building project in Slagelse in west Zealand.Back in 2013, Industriens provided DKK110m of financing via a PPP to build a new radiotherapy wing at Næstved Hospital.“But of course,” Østergaard said, “that has to be combined with our earning a proper return, and being involved with good partners, as was the case with Region Sjælland (the municipality of Zealand), where the two hospitals are located.”
Image courtesy of WärtsiläThe Finnish technology group Wärtsilä and electric utility Guyana Power and Light have signed an EPC contract for a 46.5 MW dual-fuel power plant at the Garden of Eden Generating Complex in Guyana. Oil exploration activities in the offshore waters of Guyana have resulted in significant finds of crude oil and associated gas. As a result, the potential utilization of natural gas led GPL to make the strategic decision to opt for dual-fuel fired generating units, able to operate on both natural gas and liquid fuels, Wärtsilä said in its statement.The new power plant will, therefore, operate on five Wärtsilä 34DF dual-fuel engines that will initially run on liquid fuel, and on natural gas when that fuel becomes available.As part of the project, Wärtsilä will also supply a 69 kV sub-station to be integrated within the existing Garden of Eden sub-station. The Wärtsilä plant is being delivered on a fast-track basis and is scheduled to be completed in mid-2020.
Disabled newborns are being killed LEGALLY in The Netherlands: here’s the proof LifeSiteNews 14 May 2013Family First Comment: In case you thought the ‘slippery slope’ was questionable, Dr Peter Saunders who spoke at our Forum on the Family last year puts it beyond doubt that the slippery slope is well greased and working fast. In an interview this morning on BBC Five Live on the Paul Lamb case I was asked by the presenter Nicky Campbell about evidence for a slippery slope following the legalisation of euthanasia in other jurisdictions.In my answer I mentioned the steady escalation in numbers of cases in Belgium and the Netherlands (see here and here) and said that one third of nurses had carried out euthanasia illegally in Belgium and that one third of cases in some parts of Belgium had been involuntary, although the law did not allow this.I also mentioned the ‘Groningen Protocol’ under which disabled babies had been given lethal injections in the Netherlands.Campbell appeared not to know about this and asked me on air to email him information about it to which I agreed. Another BBC journalist phoned me after the interview to check my sources.I sent her a link to the original paper on the ‘Groningen Protocol’ from the New England Medical Journal in 2005.The full reference is ‘Verhagen E, Sauer P. “The Groningen Protocol—Euthenasia in Severely Ill Newborns.” New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 352(10):959-62’It says that ‘Twenty-two cases of euthanasia in newborns have been reported to district attorneys’ offices in the Netherlands during the past seven years’ but also highlights underreporting:‘Given that the national survey indicated that such procedures are performed in 15 to 20 newborns per year, the fact that an average of three cases were reported annually suggests that most cases are simply not being reported.’The 22 babies killed all had spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus – conditions which many disabled people live with in Britain today (Here is another report on the protocol from CBHD citing the 22 documented cases).Under the ‘Groningen Protocol’ the termination of a child’s life (under age 12) is acceptable if four requirements were properly fulfilled:The presence of hopeless and unbearable sufferingThe consent of the parents to termination of lifeMedical consultation having taken placeCareful execution of the terminationMore recent reports suggest there has been a reduction in cases of direct newborn euthanasia in the Netherlands since 2005 because of 1. More efficient prenatal detection and late abortion 2. More use of ‘terminal sedation’ not recorded officially as euthanasia 3. Continued underreporting.Other issues I mentioned to the BBC in my email included:1. Almost half of Belgium’s euthanasia nurses have admitted to killing without consent, despite the fact that involuntary euthanasia is illegal in Belgium and that nurses are not allowed to perform even voluntary euthanasia.2. In Belgium, nearly half of all cases of euthanasia are not reported to the Federal Control and Evaluation Committee. Legal requirements were more frequently not met in unreported cases than in reported cases and a written request for euthanasia was absent in 88%.3. A recent study found that in the Flemish part of Belgium, 66 of 208 cases of ‘euthanasia’ (32%) occurred in the absence of request or consent.4. According to a recent report Belgium is now the ‘world leader’ in organ removal after euthanasia with at least nine cases since 2005 but suggestions are that there would have been many more had more euthanasia patients had transplantable organs.5. The stunning 5,000% increase in Belgian euthanasia cases in eleven years since legalisation.6. Summary of recent developments in Netherlands documenting a 15-20% increase in euthanasia cases per year since 2006 (gives good overview of overall situation).7. The latest Lancet paper on the subject giving 12.3% as the figure for terminal sedation deaths in the Netherlands and summarising other past papers in NEJM/LancetREAD MORE: https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/disabled-newborns-are-being-killed-legally-in-the-netherlands-heres-the-pro
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque in a virtual press conference on Thursday said he received information that only a few number of visitors went to Boracay despite it operates at 50-percent capacity. He added: Tourists flood Boracay Island in Malay, Aklan before it was closed earlier this year due to coronavirus disease 2019. Malacañang is urging Western Visayas tourist to spend time in the world-class island which reopened on June 16. SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST Aklan is under “medium-risk” modified general community quarantine at least until the end of the month./PN The task force added that only guests who have confirmed hotel or resort bookings will be allowed in the island. “Iyong mga karatig lugar diyan po, bukas na po ang Boracay up to 50%. Punta naman po tayo kasi doon. Sa data na ipinadala sa akin, parang 54 tourist pa lang ang na-record doon sa isang araw na pumasok ng Boracay.” The island resort reopened on June 16 after but only for those Western Visayan tourists who are above 21 years old but not over 59 years old. Those 21 years old and younger and those 60 years old and older are considered most vulnerable to coronavirus disease 2019, according to the Boracay Inter-Agency Task Force. MANILA – Malacañang has urged Western Visayas tourists to visit the world-famous Boracay Island in Malay, Aklan. “Pinadalhan ako ng aking mga kaibigan sa Boracay ng data na nagpapakita na bagamat bukas na po ang resort para sa turismo, napaka-kaunti pa rin po ng mga nagpupunta dun,” said Roque.
Bryan Ruiz understands why Fulham fans are angry following their poor start to the season. There is no escaping the fact that Fulham are in the relegation zone after claiming four points from their opening six Barclays Premier League games and Ruiz acknowledges that the club’s fans have every right to be angry. “We understand their frustrations,” Ruiz told Fulham’s website. “But we are all together in this and this week in training we will all work hard to make sure we get the three points in the next game.” Ruiz cancelled out Steven Caulker’s opener on Saturday, but Jordan Mutch struck in added time to give Cardiff the win and prompt yet more ire from the Fulham faithful, who have not seen their team win a home game in the league since April. Conceding late on in matches has been a big problem for Fulham recently as Newcastle and West Brom have also bagged last-gasp goals against the Cottagers this season. Had Fulham held on in those matches, they would be joint 10th. Ruiz realises the team must improve in that department. “The result was hard to take, especially because it’s happened a lot in the last few games when we’ve conceded late goals. It’s something we need to work on,” he said. For the second time this term, chants of “Jol out” could be heard at Craven Cottage on Saturday as Fulham slumped to yet another defeat – this time at the hands of newly promoted Cardiff. Owner Shahid Khan offered Jol words of encouragement before the game and although bookmakers shortened the odds of the Dutchman being sacked afterwards, Fulham insisted on Monday that it was business as usual at the club’s Motspur Park training ground. “I was very happy with the goal because it was a nice shot but when you lose like that, it doesn’t mean much. It was a great goal for them but it cannot keep happening. “We had at least one point so to lose like that at the end is difficult.” Jol insisted after the game that he is the right man to extend Fulham’s 12-year stay in the Premier League. The Dutchman will have a chance to ease supporters’ concerns on Saturday when Fulham take on Stoke, who are managed by his predecessor Mark Hughes. It remains to be seen if Scott Parker, who came off in the sixth minute on Saturday, will be available. But Ruiz looks set to be fit for the game against the Potters after overcoming an ankle injury that caused him problems earlier this season. “My ankle is good,” the Costa Rican said. “It’s not perfect yet but in a couple of days I will be fine.” Press Association
The club had agreed a fee of £8million with Manchester United but the England international priced himself out of a move. Cleverley is believed to have asked for £60,000-a-week and Villa ended their interest on Monday when it became clear negotiations had reached an impasse. Press Association The 25-year-old also saw a proposed move to Everton collapse as he failed to link up with Roberto Martinez, who managed him during a loan spell at Wigan in 2010-11. Hull were interested but Steve Bruce instead made a late move for Newcastle’s Hatem Ben Arfa. Cleverley had been made available by Old Trafford boss Louis van Gaal and looks to have no future at United. Villa boss Paul Lambert also failed with a bid for Real Sociedad’s attacking midfielder Sergio Canales, with the Spain under-21 international not keen on the move. He was a long-term admirer of Tottenham’s Lewis Holtby but the midfielder joined Hamburg on loan. Yet the cash Villa were prepared to spend on Cleverley represented a massive show of faith from chairman Randy Lerner. The American is looking to sell and Lambert has previously been restricted to free transfers and bargain buys. Villa signed Joe Cole and Philippe Senderos on free transfers while also snapping up Kieran Richardson for around £600,000 from Fulham and Carlos Sanchez for an undisclosed fee from Elche. The club also cleared out last season’s summer transfer flops with Aleksandar Tonev, Nicklas Helenius and Antonio Luna all leaving on loan. Villa had earlier sold midfielder Karim El Ahmadi back to Feyenoord for an undisclosed fee on Monday. Aston Villa pulled the plug on their chase for Tom Cleverley over the midfielder’s wage demands.